Monday, June 26, 2017

5 Songs to Get You Through the Week #123

5 Songs to Get You Through the Week is a feature I run on Young Ears, Fresh Perspective on Sundays/early hours of Monday morning where I pick out 5 tunes that I think are notable and tell you a bit about them. The point is to give you some rocking music to help you deal with your weekday blues. You can either listen to one each day, listen to them all at once, or any other combination that you feel. As long as you can get through the week without the man getting you down, that's all I care about. Without further ado, here are the 5 tracks I've picked out for this week:

1. It's a Man's World, by Rival Sons

Rival Sons absolutely kill it with their version of the James Brown classic. They definitely put some more rock n' roll balls into it. If anything, I think I actually prefer this version even though I'm quite the fan of Brown. It feels like it has a lot more passion and soul in it. You can feel the angst just dripping from Jay Buchanan's vocals and the absolute power of the whole rest of the band. It takes the song and blasts it into outer space.



2. Rock the Nation, by Montrose

This tune sadly doesn't get played much if at all, which in my opinion is a shame. It's not the crowning achievement of Montrose's debut album, but despite that it is a pretty solid rock n' roller and will get you amped up for sure. You can hear just how great Ronnie Montrose's guitar work really was when he was still with us. Sammy Hagar also gives it that much more of a shine. Can't really go wrong there, can you?



3. Hypnotize, by The White Stripes

This song is the definition of hidden gem. It's only a minute and a half long, but you'll want to rock out the entire time it's going. It is pure punk rock from start to finish. It's loud, fast, and thundering. It's like even though this was around the time the band was getting big and more diverse and creative in their sound, they still didn't forget their roots as musicians. You won't hear this one getting mentioned or played a lot, but in my opinion it is still a jaw dropper and will have you hitting repeat over and over.



4. Nothing But a Good Time, by Poison

Every now and again I still need my trashy cheesy 80's hair metal fix. I loved Poison when I was in high school and I'd play this song among many other Poison classics day in and day out. It's not something I would consider a work of art, but it's fun. Nothing but a good time, you might say. In all honesty, that's all it needs to be. I can't really say I fault them for that despite the fact they were just using this kind of music to get chicks and money.



5. Ain't No Rest for the Wicked, by Cage the Elephant

Who says I don't listen to anything more recent? I dig the slide guitar in this tune for sure. Not a whole lot of bands seem to really make slide guitar rock any more. No, I'm not counting country bands because that isn't rock n' roll. Anyway, this is another one of those modern classics that you have to crank at top volume while driving down the highway. It has that solid groove to it that will just get you moving and swaying the entire time.


No comments:

Post a Comment