Monday, June 19, 2017

5 Songs to Get You Through the Week #122

5 Songs to Get You Through the Week is a feature I run on Young Ears, Fresh Perspective on Sundays/early hours of Monday morning where I pick out 5 tunes that I think are notable and tell you a bit about them. The point is to give you some rocking music to help you deal with your weekday blues. You can either listen to one each day, listen to them all at once, or any other combination that you feel. As long as you can get through the week without the man getting you down, that's all I care about. Without further ado, here are the 5 tracks I've picked out for this week:

1. Baby It's You, by Haley Reinhart

I first found out about Haley Reinhart through Postmodern Jukebox, a YouTube channel that turns contemporary mainstream songs into jazz tunes. I didn't realize she did stuff on her own till today when I found out that she had a new music video of her own out. Needless to say, my jaw hit the floor. It's still a fairly jazzy tune, but it has a lot of rock n' roll vibe to it as well. I hope she manages to take off. She has one hell of a good voice.




2. Too Far Gone, by Buckingham-McVie

This is the one song on what is essentially the new Fleetwood Mac album that actually rocks. Not saying that the other songs are bad (which they aren't by any means), but this tune like ROCKS. It has a serious bluesy ballsy guitar riff from Lindsey Buckingham and it gets you PUMPED. You can tell that the rhythm section is having a ball with it and feels right at home due to the fact that it's not too different from what they did in the end days with Peter Green.




3. Dutchman, by Chuck Berry

Chuck Berry put out one hell of a swan song with his final album. It's a shame he couldn't see it be released and enjoyed by his fans all throughout the world, though. This tune in particular is one hell of a bluesy swagger and rather than sing, he speaks throughout it; telling a story set to music. I knew Chuck had his roots in the blues, but hearing this song and having it brought to the forefront like this just kind of blew me away. Maybe it will do the same for you.




4. King of a One Horse Town, by Dan Auerbach

This is one of those songs that took a bit of time to grow on me. When the album came out a couple weeks ago I'd heard this song as a single maybe once, but with repeated and closer listenings I've come to appreciate it a great deal more. The more I listened to the lyrics, the more I was able to vibe with it on a personal level. To be honest, this is one of my favorite kinds of songs for that specific reason. I like something that grows on me with further investigation.




5. Matrimonial Intentions, by Jack White

Jack White recently participated in a PBS special called The American Epic, where contemporary artists record on one of the first kinds of record making machines ever created. In order to keep with the vintage vibe, White and his band recorded an old traditional tune in a genuinely ragtime style. It works out incredibly well. You can't even tell that this was made in 2017. You could easily mistake this for something out of the early 1900's.



No comments:

Post a Comment