Monday, May 29, 2017

5 Songs to Get You Through the Week #119

5 Songs to Get You Through the Week is a feature I run on Young Ears, Fresh Perspective on Sundays/early hours of Monday morning where I pick out 5 tunes that I think are notable and tell you a bit about them. The point is to give you some rocking music to help you deal with your weekday blues. You can either listen to one each day, listen to them all at once, or any other combination that you feel. As long as you can get through the week without the man getting you down, that's all I care about. Without further ado, here are the 5 tracks I've picked out for this week:

1. In My World, by Buckingham-McVie

I'm pretty stoked for the upcoming duet album from Fleetwood Mac members Lindsey Buckingham and Christine McVie. It has basically everyone in Fleetwood Mac except Stevie Nicks, which in my opinion is an improvement. This single put out a month ago is probably my favorite of the three that have been put out so far. I'm looking forward to the full thing coming out on the 9th for sure.




2. Would You Fight For My Love, by Jack White

This is another one of those songs that I didn't really care for all that much at first, but over time it's grown on me. I love the female vocal melody as well as all the unique instrument sounds and the way they are arranged. The fact that I and many of us can relate to the lyrics also makes it that much better because it forms that deep personal connection. When you manage to pack all that into one song, you definitely have yourself a lasting work of art.




3. Land of Hope and Glory, by Rainbow

This is the first new Rainbow song in over two decades. While I'm disappointed that all it is is just a soft instrumental version of Pomp and Circumstance it's always nice to hear Ritchie Blackmore play the guitar. Even after all these decades the man in black still has that touch on his instrument that many have tried to copy but will never succeed at. That said, I'm hoping Blackmore puts out a new song with Ronnie Romero singing at some point.




4. Keep Yourself Alive, by Queen

This has always been one of my absolute favorite Queen tunes. It's the perfect blend of hard rock, flamboyancy, and creative song writing. It's the first track on their first album and right from the get go you could already tell from this song alone that they were destined for great things. It's just a shame it doesn't get more radio play because it definitely deserves it. I bet if they re-released it it would be quite popular.




5. Lady of the Lake, by Lords of Black

This is hands-down one of the single greatest covers of a Rainbow song I have ever heard. This is from Ronnie Romero's (current singer of Rainbow) band. It captures the spirit of the original while still being undeniably its own. After listening to this there is definitely no question in my mind as to why Romero was chosen to front Rainbow. The man was born to do this. Maybe if we're lucky he and Blackmore will write and record together.



No comments:

Post a Comment