Thursday, August 31, 2017

Former Dio Guitarist Doug Aldrich Has Unheard Dio Track

Photo courtesy of The Inquisitr


When the god of metal, Ronnie James Dio passed away in 2010 due to stomach cancer the world of heavy metal was struck hard because it was believed that we would never hear any new music from him ever again. However, it seems that this isn't entirely true, as former guitarist for Dio's solo band Doug Aldrich has in his possession a recording of a rather trippy tune they worked on together that has yet to see a release.

In an interview with Roppongi Rocks (via Blabbermouth) Aldrich discusses the song and his part in the recording of it, saying:

“It was during the time he wrote Electra. We were kind of bouncing around some of his ideas and working on some of them.

Before we did Electra he had this other one that he said, ‘Can you put a solo on this?’ and he gave me the track. I had put a solo on it, and then when I brought it to his house, he goes, ‘No, no, no – I’ve got this new idea called Electra.’ We didn’t even listen to it.

This one track is haunting. He doubled his voice – it’s just really trippy. At some point it will have to come out. I offered it to Wendy and I don’t know. Maybe she forgot about it. I actually have the recording session which has got Ronnie playing bass, rhythm guitar and vocals, and then a drum machine.”

I really do hope that this song some day gets a proper release. It sounds interesting and creative, which makes me happy because even up to his death Dio was always doing something innovative and new. Plus, I would really like to hear Dio playing guitar and bass on a track because I'd love to hear what his chops sounded like. Hopefully Wendy takes Doug up on the offer soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment