Monday, August 21, 2017

5 Songs to Get You Through the Week #130

5 Songs to Get You Through the Week is a feature I run on Young Ears, Fresh Perspective on Sundays/early hours of Monday morning where I pick out 5 tunes that I think are notable and tell you a bit about them. The point is to give you some rocking music to help you deal with your weekday blues. You can either listen to one each day, listen to them all at once, or any other combination that you feel. As long as you can get through the week without the man getting you down, that's all I care about. Without further ado, here are the 5 tracks I've picked out for this week:

1. Relentless, by Pentagram

This is one of those songs where the intro fooled me into thinking it was going to be a slower, more groove oriented song but then quickly does a 180 by turning it into a blood boiling, pulse pounding, pedal to the metal fast paced kind of tune. I'm not complaining though because it still kicks a lot of ass. I've had a lot of fun just cranking this tune up to 11 while rocketing down the highway at night on the way home from seeing my chick.



2. Voodoo, by Black Sabbath

If you want heavy metal that does happen to be more groove oriented, this is definitely the song for you. It's got this riff that hooks its way into your mind relentlessly quick and it will not let go no matter how hard you beg and try. Dio's powerful melodic vocals make it that much more entrancing of a song as well. Black Sabbath and Dio really were a match made in Heaven and Hell no matter what anyone says.



3. Problems, by The Sex Pistols

In a time where we are all feeling uncertain it's good to have a way to vent your frustrations about your problems, especially if that method is through punk rock. This in my opinion is a highly under rated Sex Pistols tune that I didn't even know about until I discovered the Megadeth cover a few
years back and decided to go back and check out the original to see how it measured up. Needless to say, I was more than satisfied.



4. Cold Gin, by Kiss

I can say with 100% certainty that this is my absolute all time favorite Kiss song. It's got everything a good rock n' roll song needs: a killer main riff, a thundering rhythm, fun lyrics, and rough n' tumble singing. Despite the fact that Kiss is all about the frills, this tune in particular is all about throwing them off and being a real city gutter rat of the lowest variety. Somehow though, they manage to glorify such a lifestyle. I guess good music can accomplish anything.



5. Love Communion, by Glenn Hughes

This is one hell of a funky jam. It's got groove, soul, and some extraordinary singing that ranges from high and powerful to soft and smooth. Glenn Hughes despite his advancing age doesn't seem to have lost a single bit of his vocal talent with age, and thank God. He is one of the few living vocal legends from the 70's left who doesn't sound like complete garbage now. I saw him a year ago in Chicago and he blew my mind. Not many people even in my own age range can do what he does.


No comments:

Post a Comment