Thursday, August 17, 2017

First Queen Shows Terrifying for Adam Lambert

Photo courtesy of Billboard.com


Freddie Mercury is one of the single greatest and best known icons in the history of not only rock n' roll, but popular music overall. The man left a gigantic legacy behind with his unmatched operatic singing, his lyrics, music, and the character he created for himself. For anyone to even think of stepping into his shoes in Queen would be a frightening notion for anyone, but Adam Lambert did it. Recently however, Lambert has opened up on just how terrifying the first few shows he did with Queen were for him.

In an interview with ET Canada, Lambert talks about how he felt during those shows, but at the same time how he felt so supported by the band and the fans, saying:

“I thought, ‘There’s no way I should be doing this,'. I had the confidence of the band and they were really lovely about it. They were like, ‘No, no, no, you’re great. We love it. Do what you want.’ But in my head I kept going, ‘No, I don’t know.’

The first audience we had was very supportive, and each audience afterwards was supportive. So, slowly, little by little, I was like, ‘Okay, all right, I can do this – kind of.’ But there’s no comparing to Freddie.

The intention of the lyrics, the mood of the song – if I kept those thing in the forefront of my mind, as opposed to, ‘How did Freddie do it?’ I usually would find my way there. Working with the band has taught me a lot. I’ve learned a lot about songcraft, and about how a song can connect with a mass crowd. Brian and Roger are wealths of information and experience and artistry. It’s a family now. It’s great.”

I myself saw Lambert perform with Queen back in 2013 at the United Center in Chicago. It was definitely one hell of a show. It felt genuine down to the last note, but at the same time Lambert in no way tried to emulate Freddie. No one ever could and he realized that. Instead he did all of the songs his own way and everyone (myself included) loved it. It really is a match made in Heaven. There is no replacing Freddie Mercury, but if anyone had to fill his shoes I'm glad it was Lambert.

No comments:

Post a Comment