Monday, October 5, 2015

Paul Stanley: Ace Frehley and Peter Criss Make-up Rights Sold for Little Price

 
One of the biggest controversies among Kiss fans for the past decade or so is whether or not it is right for current lead guitarist Tommy Thayer and current drummer Eric Singer to be wearing Ace Frehley and Peter Criss's iconic "Spaceman" and "Catman" make-up. In a recent interview that rhythm guitarist/singer Paul Stanley did with 4KQ in Australia, Frehley and Criss apparently sold their rights to it for a pretty low price.

Stanley says:

“The guys basically sold it off for, you know, not a whole lot, because they didn’t think it was worth anything. Quite honestly, I’ve always thought our image and what we represent is priceless. It didn’t matter to some people — it truly matters to me.”

Stanley further defends the changes in the Kiss line-up and them wearing the make-up saying:

 “If somebody is out, somebody else comes along. I don’t think that when you go to see your favorite team, you’re yelling that you want to see somebody who was in the team 20 years ago. Time moves on, but the team lives on. … I didn’t invent the wheel. Somebody is out there who can come in and take my place. … I don’t see a reason for the band to fold, any more than I can see a reason for a team to fold.”

Personally I think that if Kiss is going to continue wearing make-up that they should do like they did in the 80's and have the new members get their own new personal characters. It worked for Vinnie Vincent and Eric Carr, why not Thayer and Singer? I understanding trying to preserve the image and legacy of the band, but at the same time some people need to let go and let the band evolve as it should.

No comments:

Post a Comment