Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Michael Anthony Feels He Could Sing for Van Halen


Ex-Van Halen bassist and backing vocalist Michael Anthony has recently made quite a bold statement in an interview with 107.7 The Bone. Apparently he feels that he is more than capable of singing lead for rock n' roll titans Van Halen.

Anthony says, "I don't need that kind of pressure on me. Lead singers, they're their own breed. It wasn't until the fourth or fifth Van Halen record that people would go, 'Wow! You're singing backgrounds on those records. That's not David Lee Roth.' And I go, 'Hell, no! That's not David Lee Roth.'"

Anthony continues:

"I sang Somebody Get Me A Doctor. That actually goes over quite well. But I'd sing any of them. I could sing any of that crap. I can sing it all."

I will admit, Anthony does have some legitimate vocal chops. They blend very well with almost any singer that he has ever worked with in Van Halen and more recently hard rock super group Chickenfoot. However, I personally find it a little odd to picture him taking lead; especially on Van Halen songs. To be fair, he does have more vocal skill than lead singer David Lee Roth, but his style seems more suited for backing rather than lead. Maybe he could take the post, but I would personally like to hear solid proof before I could agree with him or not.

Anthony will supposedly be doing another album with Chickenfoot some time in the near future, as revealed by guitarist Joe Satriani. However, at the moment there is no certainty as to when the group will come together to make it happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment