Sunday, April 30, 2017

5 Songs to Get You Through the Week #115

5 Songs to Get You Through the Week is a feature I run on Young Ears, Fresh Perspective on Sundays/early hours of Monday morning where I pick out 5 tunes that I think are notable and tell you a bit about them. The point is to give you some rocking music to help you deal with your weekday blues. You can either listen to one each day, listen to them all at once, or any other combination that you feel. As long as you can get through the week without the man getting you down, that's all I care about. Without further ado, here are the 5 tracks I've picked out for this week:

1. Welcome to the Family, by Avenged Sevenfold

Need something loud, thundering, and ripping that will get your week started with a real grab you by the balls kind of vibe? Look no further. From the moment this track gets going till the moment the last note fades out you're in for exactly that. This tune has some killer guitar riffs and solos for sure, but the drumming done by former Dream Theater drummer Mike Portnoy is absolutely top notch. This tune is dark, aggressive, and yet at the same time melodic. Everything a good A7X song should be.



2. Some Kind of Hate, by The Misfits

As I've mentioned before one of the things I always loved about The Misfits was the fact that they made some of the most raw, heavy, and dark horror punk music but at the same time made it sound like it was just louder 50's pop rock songs. It's a combination you wouldn't think would work, but in this tune especially it really does. Glenn Danzig's keen ear for melody and smooth whiskey vocals sure made for some of the best punk rock to ever be put to tape.



3. Less Talk More Rokk, by Freezepop

And now for something completely different. I know you wouldn't really consider this rock n' roll, but I always liked the melodies, harmonies, and rhythm of this tune. I remember it from Guitar Hero II waaaay back in the day. I've even figured out how to play that synth melody on a guitar over the years since then. It's definitely a fun tune to play to get a party started or kept going. Or maybe 10 years ago. What do I know about partying, after all?



4. Electric Man, by Rival Sons

And now back to our regularly scheduled genre. If you need a good stomping, electrifying rock n' roll tune to blow out your speakers, this is definitely the way to go. It will pound your ear drums out, but you'll be thankful for it. The vocals howl, the guitar crunches, and the rhythm section just BOOMS in this. This is even more fun of a song to see performed live, but if you can't make it to a show this studio version will still blow your mind.



5. Any Way You Want It, by Journey

Of course before I wrap this week's post up I have to include the token song that everyone is familiar with from the radio. Regardless I still think this is a fun song and is much better than some of Journey's wimpier soft ballad stuff meant primarily for girls in order to make them fall in love with Steve Perry and get them to spend their money on records. That said, go ahead and turn this one on and crank it up. I won't judge you. I promise.


No comments:

Post a Comment