Thursday, July 20, 2017

Guitarist Ritchie Blackmore Open to One Final Deep Purple Show



Guitarist and cofounding member of Deep Purple, Ritchie Blackmore has not played a show with the band in 24 years. For the longest time they seemed to be at odds with one another, but over time things seem to have been smoothed over for the most part; so much so that Blackmore is now open to the idea of doing a one off final show with his old band for old times' sake.

In a recent interview with Rock N Roll Reporter, Blackmore opens up about his wish to jam with Purple one more time, saying:

“I think if they were interested and our dates didn't clash, I would perform a single show – for old times.

But I don’t believe that Deep Purple would be interested. They have their niche and wouldn't do it. We're friends and I have been doing my music for 20 years, while they have been doing it for 20 years. It's probably not likely to happen.

Their management wouldn’t like it – even if it was just for a single show. Their management wouldn’t allow it, I'm sure.”

This wouldn't be the first time Deep Purple's management had supposedly gotten in Blackmore's way. Blackmore wanted to attend the band's induction into the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame, but according to Blackmore their management had prevented him from doing so. That said, I'm not sure how I would feel about Blackmore being on stage with Deep Purple again. I mean, Ritchie doesn't exactly have that fire in him that made him play like a madman in a blazing whirlwind any more. He has definitely slowed down and softened his playing quite a bit. Then there is also the fact that Steve Morse has now been with the band for almost a quarter of a century at this point and has breathed life into the band that had quite frankly been gone since the late 80's. I would still eagerly watch such a performance, but I'm still not sure it's the best idea.

Writer's Moment:

After this post I am going to be having myself a little summer vacation. I have a lot going on today, Friday, and this whole weekend. That said, I'm going to take the rest of this week and all of next week off so I can just enjoy the Summer while it's still here without worrying about having to make a post. I will return on Sunday July 30th/early Monday July 31st.

No comments:

Post a Comment