Sunday, July 16, 2017

5 Songs to Get You Through the Week #126

5 Songs to Get You Through the Week is a feature I run on Young Ears, Fresh Perspective on Sundays/early hours of Monday morning where I pick out 5 tunes that I think are notable and tell you a bit about them. The point is to give you some rocking music to help you deal with your weekday blues. You can either listen to one each day, listen to them all at once, or any other combination that you feel. As long as you can get through the week without the man getting you down, that's all I care about. Without further ado, here are the 5 tracks I've picked out for this week:

1. Steady As She Goes, by The Raconteurs

This is the big song Jack White's late 2000's side band were best known for. Honestly it sounds a lot more pop punk than a lot of the other stuff I've heard out of them, so I'm kind of wondering what made them choose to go in this direction for the song. Then again, when The White Stripes put out Seven Nation Army that sounded drastically different from the vast majority of the other stuff in their catalog as well. Maybe they just wanted airplay?



2. Love Potion No. 9, by The Searchers

This is another one of the songs I first remember hearing on the radio a lot when I was a really little kid. My mom used to play nothing but the oldies station back then (this was the early 90's, so oldies was 50's and 60's stuff) and stuff like this came over the airwaves and into my ears pretty often. I always found the melody rather entrancing. In more recent years though, I've come to realize that the lyrics sound like they were written about doing drugs.



3. This is a Call, by The Foo Fighters

The first track of the first Foo Fighters album. This has always been one of my favorite songs that they ever did because it is full of balls to the wall guitar sound and charges you with energy that makes you want to get up and accomplish the big thing that you want to accomplish. Dave Grohl definitely wasn't messing around when it came to recording his debut album outside of Nirvana and it shows right from the get-go.



4. Minority, by Green Day

In my opinion this is the single most under rated song Green Day has ever put out. The melody is so catchy and memorable that it never lets you go. Ever since I first heard it years ago I've hummed it a lot to myself even though I forgot the name of the band and artist until only a couple years back. It's loud, has a big social justice message, and gets you moshing around until the last note fades from your speakers.



5. Dance the Night Away, by Van Halen

Van Halen in my opinion will always be the kings of pop rock. They have the crunchy catchy riffs, the vocal harmonies, the swagger, and honestly one of the single greatest guitar players to ever bless our ears with his chops. This tune is less on the hard rocking side, but it is still chocked full of energy, but knows where to lay off a bit and let you feel like there is something actually there to dance the night away to. A classic for a reason.


No comments:

Post a Comment