Monday, February 20, 2017

5 Songs to Get You Through the Week #106

5 Songs to Get You Through the Week is a feature I run on Young Ears, Fresh Perspective on Sundays/early hours of Monday morning where I pick out 5 tunes that I think are notable and tell you a bit about them. The point is to give you some rocking music to help you deal with your weekday blues. You can either listen to one each day, listen to them all at once, or any other combination that you feel. As long as you can get through the week without the man getting you down, that's all I care about. Without further ado, here are the 5 tracks I've picked out for this week:

1. Country Girl, by Black Sabbath

I can never get over just how much I love the main guitar riff in this song. It plays over and over for the vast majority of the song (except the bridge), but quite frankly I think it's one of the few songs that can get away with it. Then again, Tony Iommi is the king of the heavy riff. That said, it's that bridge though that really hits me the right way. That sweet sounding vocal melody from Ronnie James Dio has the right timbre and flows the right way at the right time to raise the hairs on the back of my neck and arms when it kicks in.



2. Paint it Black, by The Rolling Stones

This is one of those songs that despite the fact all the emo kids I knew in high school loved it due to it being about depression I still love myself regardless. That mystical Indian type vibe it has to it works really well with the loud and pounding style of rock n' roll that the Stones were notorious for making in the 60's. It's one of the more creative tunes they have written and quite frankly I can see why it is a classic and played all the time even to this day.



3. Stonehenge, by Spinal Tap

Now I know many people don't really take Spinal Tap seriously as musicians, but even though the purpose of them is to be goofy they still actually make some pretty damn good music. I love how spooky and enigmatic this tune sounds at certain points while at others it sounds like you have been thrown back 1,000 years or more to a more folksy sounding era. It is the perfect blend of heavy metal and European folk music in my opinion.



4. Spinal Remains, by The Misfits

Glenn Danzig has always had a knack for being able to write the most catchy punk rock meets 50's pop rock tunes while at the same time being incredibly dark in terms of lyrical subject matter. If you have even the tiniest bit of draw to the macabre then you will more than likely find this tune and many others from The Misfits to be right up your alley. It will satisfy all of your morbid desires while at the same time giving you something to dance to.



5. Misfits, by The Kinks

Not always into acoustic-ish ballads, but this one I can get down with. Being somewhat of a misfit myself in many areas of life for as long as I can remember I vibe with what Ray Davies is writing about. You can definitely tell this was created more for the message rather than the music itself, but there are certain parts that do get a bit musically creative and I will give them props and credit where each are due. For those of you downtrodden folks who don't feel like you belong anywhere, this is definitely for you.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment