Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Whitesnake Singer David Coverdale to Retire in 2017



Former Deep Purple and current Whitesnake vocalist David Coverdale has made public his official plans to retire after a 43+ year career. Said plans are to wrap things up on the 30th anniversary of Whitesnake's big commercial breakthrough album Whitesnake/1987.

Coverdale gave this announcement in a recent interview he did with Rolling Stone. He goes into detail talking about how he meant for Whitesnake's most recent release The Purple Album to be his swan song and a way for him to end in the same way he began. Originally it was meant to be a joint project between him and original Deep Purple guitarist Ritchie Blackmore, but it didn't pan out that way.

In the interview, Coverdale says:

“I was trying to retire. I reached out to Blackmore after 30 years of hostility to bury the hatchet. We started communicating into 2013, when he asked me to speak to his manager about either a Blackmore-Coverdale or some kind of Purple thing. But I couldn’t agree with the ideas that they had. So I thought, ‘Well, this will be my farewell album.' It did so fucking well, it’s like, now I’m looking at retiring next year, on the 30th anniversary of the 1987 album.”

To be honest, I think it is probably for the best that Coverdale is retiring soon. The Purple Album was definitely a great way to pay tribute to the band that got him started, but at this point in time his voice has kind of been shot to hell. As big of a fan of his as I am, Coverdale's voice hasn't aged well. When he is trying to be more laid back and melodic he still sounds pretty good, but he doesn't have that power and range he had as a bucking young lad. Then again, at his age I wouldn't expect him to. That said, I like that he is going out on a high note.

Also, it's a shame that Blackmore didn't follow through with working on the project with Coverdale. I guess it's because he is too busy living in Renaissance Land. At the very least he is doing a few Rainbow shows next year, so at least he hasn't turned his back completely on his fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment