Friday, December 12, 2014

Ex-Judas Priest Guitarist K.K. Downing Announces "Metal For Men" Fragrance



Though ex-Judas Priest guitarist K.K. Downing has been retired from the band for a few years now, heavy metal is still a very important aspect of his life. These days however, it's on his mind in a way you might not think: a new fragrance called Metal For Men.

In a recent interview with Planet Rock, Downing explains his new idea:

“I think I just woke up one morning and thought of the word ‘metal’ and I thought ‘metal for men’ and I thought — straight away, I thought — ‘What could that relate to?’ And I don’t know why I thought about it, but I thought there’s nothing out there on the market that’s associated with rock and metal fans in respect to fragrances and stuff. And I guess that, combined with my mum asking me continually what I want for Christmas and stuff, it just came about. And it just so happens I had a friend who had associations with fragrances before, and it came about very, very quickly.”

I think the reason that there aren't many fragrances associated with rock and metal is because at least when I think about them the only smell that comes to my mind is a blend of cigarette smoke, leather, sweat, puke, booze, etc. I'm not sure how anyone could really associate any other scents with such an idea. I have a hard time believing anything that smells nice could be considered rock n' roll. I know I can't be the only one who thinks this.

Downing is insisting that "these fragrances both look and smell fantastic, and I think that they are the ideal gift for all rock and metal fans this Christmas”. I'm a little skeptical, but I guess only time will tell. They probably do smell good, but I kind of doubt I will associate them with loud rip-roaring rock n' roll.

Fortunately, Downing also did briefly mention that there is a slight possibility that he may yet still get back into music. Downing says:

“We’ll have to see what happens. Who knows? But anyway, I’m always doing stuff in the music thing. I don’t want people to think that I’m just disassociating myself [from music], ’cause I’m not. I’m helping some new bands, and I’m always doing stuff on my website and stuff, and I’m happy to do that. Something will come along, I think. I’ve had a couple of propositions for next year. We’ll see what happens. I’m looking forward to the future. That’s all I can say.”

Personally, I'm more excited about the possible music than perfume. Rock n' rollers should stick to doing what they do best rather than trying to smell pretty as far as I'm concerned. What are your thoughts on the subject? Leave a comment below.

1 comment:

  1. I thought the same thing about what "metal" might smell like, hahaha. Still, this a lot classier than a lot of the junk Kiss puts out.

    ReplyDelete