Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Founding Deep Purple and Rainbow Guitarist Ritchie Blackmore Considering Brief Return to Rock

 

The hopes and prayers of many in the hard rock and metal community may finally be answered; if only for a brief moment. Founding Deep Purple and Rainbow guitarist Ritchie Blackmore is considering a short lived return to rock after nearly 20 years of playing only Renaissance music with his wife Candice Night in their group Blackmore's Night.

Blackmore has announced he would like to make a brief return to rock for just a few shows in June of next year. This news came about when Blackmore was interviewed in a recent issue of a French publication La Parisien.

Blackmore says:

“Just for a few days, next June. But for now, I’m not decided on the persons I want to work with. I’ve got a good idea about the ideal candidates, but it wouldn’t be fair to say anything now. I will know exactly in one month who I want to have in this band to play Deep Purple and Rainbow songs. We will probably play three or four shows in June; that’s all.”

Former Rainbow vocalist Joe Lynn Turner has actually been saying for a while that he and Ritchie were going to get together to do a big Rainbow reunion tour, but many have figured that to be wishful thinking. When asked whether or not this was true and if Turner would be part of the project, Blackmore said:

“I think that Joe will not be part of the adventure, and he doesn’t know it yet. He does his thing, I like him, and I made good albums and good songs with him, like “Street of Dreams’ (a 1983 Rainbow track that Blackmore’s Night later reworked). But I’m thinking about doing a mixture in the band, with famous people and not so famous ones. That’s my state of mind at the moment, and you’re the first person I talk to about it.”

Blackmore almost made a return to rock not that long ago when former Deep Purple band mate vocalist David Coverdale got into contact with him to work on a tribute to their fallen band mate keyboardist Jon Lord. In the end Blackmore did not go through with the project and Coverdale turned the it into a Whitesnake (which he fronts) album full of covers from his time in Deep Purple called The Purple Album.

I really do hope to God that Blackmore goes through with this no matter how small of an outing it may be. It has been too long since Blackmore played proper rock music. I'm really curious to see what kinds of musicians he will hire on if he is not going to be recruiting anyone he has worked with in the past. I'm not surprised he is making that move due to the fact that he has always changed his musicians quite frequently over the years. I get the feeling the shows will probably all be in Europe. Most things like this would be. Either way, hopefully there is some good footage. Maybe, just maybe if we pray hard enough he might expand the amount of dates and do a whole new album. Probably not but we can always dream, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment