Monday, January 22, 2018

Slayer to Call it a Day With Final World Tour



I know for many of us we have a hard time thinking of the Big Four of thrash metal getting old and finally calling it a day. For the longest time each band has continued to go on strong. However, Slayer according to the video above has decided to be the first of them to hang it up and retire with one final world tour.

This is not a total shock, however. Back in 2016 bassist and vocalist Tom Araya in an interview with Loudwire expressed a desire to give up the touring life because of how tiring it can be, saying:

"After 35 years, it's time to collect my pension. This is a career move. Where's my pension? I'm grateful that we've f---ing been around for 35 years. That's a really long time. When we started off, everything was great, because you're young and invincible.

And then there came a time where I became a family man, and I had a tough time flying back and forth. At the level we're at now, I can do that. I can fly home when I want to on days off and spend some time with my family, which is something I wasn't able to do when [my kids] were growing up. Now they're both older and mature. So now I take advantage of that. It just gets harder and harder to come back out on the road. 35 years is a long time."

Personally I can't say I blame Araya or the band for wanting to hang it up for multiple reasons. For one thing, at this point only half the original band is left. Without Jeff Hanneman or Dave Lombardo they lack a significant chunk of the true spirit of the band. A lot of what Slayer has put out in recent years to me has honestly sounded boring and uninspired and I think a good portion of it is because of the lack of key members as well as the fact there is only so much you can do with the same subject matter. It's better to end it now before the legacy gets tarnished any further.

No comments:

Post a Comment