Saturday, March 18, 2017

The Who's Pete Townshend Pens New Song for "Tommy"



It's been close to 50 years since The Who first wrote, recorded, and released their landmark album and rock opera Tommy. Now, song writer and guitarist Pete Townshend has come back to the work once more to pen one new song to be used in an upcoming stage production of what many people consider to be his magnum opus.

In a recent press release Townshend goes into detail on his feelings about the new production as well as what drove him to write the new song, saying:

“When I heard the there was a new planned production of Tommy, I was pleased, of course. But when I heard they planned to do a production featuring actors with disabilities of various kinds, that will actually throw new light on the original story, I became very excited. This is a totally new adventure, and really does refer back to my original story in which a young man, disabled by extreme trauma, finds his way to some kind of spiritual place because he can FEEL music. I can’t wait to see it.”

The new song is called "Acid Queen 2". According to Peter Straker in a recent BBC interview, (who will be playing the Acid Queen in this production) the song talks about how you deal with fame when it's faded. Personally I'm excited to hear this new song whenever there is a decent recording of it. I'd like to hear both the stage version and a studio version done by The Who if at all possible. Wouldn't quite have that magic if I didn't get to hear it coming from the band who originally recorded the legendary rock opera in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment