Thursday, November 24, 2016

Phil Collins Getting Drum Chops Back Up to Snuff for Comeback Shows


 


Phil Collins has admitted that something during the Genesis reunion shows in 2007 made his drumming nowhere near as great as it used to be. It just hasn't felt natural for a long time to him. However, Collins is now practicing harder than ever to make it all come back to him so he can be on top of his game for the big comeback tour he has planned next year.

In a recent interview with Rolling Stone, Collins goes into detail about how drumming has been a struggle for him for a while now, but how he is making an effort to fix it, saying:

"After the Genesis reunion tour, I played with Eric Clapton at Albert Hall for one song in 2010, and I had that feeling of 'This isn't happening.' That kind of scared me. The one thing I could rely on in life was that I could sit down at the drums and it would sound good, and suddenly I couldn't pull it together.

Now, I've got a drum kit in my garage and I've got into a routine of practicing. I'm trying to get my hands to feel natural again when I hold a pair of sticks. I've got some comeback shows booked for next year, and we'll see what happens."

I wish Collins all the best. Having something that has been such a staple in your life for so long all of a sudden become unnatural to you must be a complete nightmare, especially if it's a major passion like playing the drums. I hope for Collins's sake that he can manage to pull it together and put on the kind of show that both he and his fans deserve to have. After all, it wouldn't be right for Collins to perform In the Air Tonight without it being him behind the drums at that key moment.

Writer's Moment:

Since it is Thanksgiving weekend I'm taking the next four days off to spend time with my family and to just relax. I hope for those of you who celebrate the holiday you enjoy it as well! 

No comments:

Post a Comment