Saturday, June 25, 2016

Iggy Pop Considering Retirement



Proto-punk rocker Iggy Pop has shocked the world in so many different ways in his 4+ decade career, but recently he has given credence to something that is more shocking than any of his other escapades: he is considering retirement.

After recently releasing a new album Post Pop Depression with Queens of the Stone Age's Josh Homme Pop admitted that doing another album would be a big undertaking for a man of his age (69 years old). He feels he doesn't have a whole lot of energy any more and feels it might be time for him to "step back".

In a recent interview with Classic Rock Magazine, Pop expands on this statement and gives more thought and depth to it, saying:

“There’s a lot of things I can’t do now that I could do when I was 25. But because I was basically kind of a loony, what’s happened with me is that the less I can do, the better off I am! But I can do a music show, and I enjoy that. And I can do an advert, or a part in a film, or a radio show. And I really enjoy those things.”

I can kind of understand Pop's desire to retire, though I'm a little baffled considering there are guys older than him still going strong well into their 70's and beyond. However, I guess it is a little different in his case considering that Pop has always been known for his high energy performances both on stage and on record. It's probably difficult to keep that kind of thing up forever and it would be better to burn out than fade away.

No comments:

Post a Comment