Sunday, August 19, 2018

5 Songs to Get You Through the Week #178

5 Songs to Get You Through the Week is a feature I run on Young Ears, Fresh Perspective on Sundays/early hours of Monday morning where I pick out 5 tunes that I think are notable and tell you a bit about them. The point is to give you some rocking music to help you deal with your weekday blues. You can either listen to one each day, listen to them all at once, or any other combination that you feel. As long as you can get through the week without the man getting you down, that's all I care about. Without further ado, here are the 5 tracks I've picked out for this week:

1. Coast to Coast, by Trapeze

I don't feel this song, the album it came from, or the band that made it get talked about anywhere near as much as they deserve. This tune is one of their more laid back, grooving, melodic tunes and somehow it always helps me chill if I'm all wound up. It gives me some serious feels too, but I still have yet to ever figure out why. Maybe it's just an atmospheric thing? Regardless, this is definitely good for relaxation time.



2. Breaking the Law, by Judas Priest

Since I'm going to go see these guys this week, I figured it was a good idea to throw in one of their classic hits. This is one of the first songs that I and many other people ever remember hearing out of Judas Priest. Though I like their 70's material better, British Steel is still a classic album and deserves the fame and glory that it has all these years later. Without this hit, I don't think Judas Priest would be the hallmark metal band they are considered to be today.



3. Nancy the Tavern Wench, by Alestorm

If you dig pirates and heavy metal, then this tune will be right up your alley. Pirate metal while on a surface level may seem silly, it is still a lot of fun. This tune makes you feel like you're in an old run down sleazy tavern by the port at least 300 years ago. It certainly brings that time period and that atmosphere alive in a way that vibes with a wider audience today. You will feel like a heavy metal Jack Sparrow pretty quickly for sure.



4. What's Going on Here, by Deep Purple

Honestly, I NEVER hear anyone talk about this song, even in the circles of people that do still happen to talk about Deep Purple. It's one of my personal favorites from the Burn album for sure. It's just a straight up piano driven swinging blues tune, but somehow it just grooves in such a way that makes you want to stomp your foot along and sing along with the delectably vocal layered choruses. Why this isn't a big hit, I'll never know.



5. Lipstick Traces, by UFO

This is a completely instrumental tune, but it evokes more emotion than most overplayed love songs ever will. I get this picture of hanging out with my gal in a hammock on a beach on some warm, but not too warm summer night with a gentle breeze rolling through. Maybe a candle or tiki torch too. Who knows. Regardless, if a song can paint that vivid of an image in my head even though it doesn't have lyrics, there is definitely some worth to it to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment