Monday, July 18, 2016

5 Songs to Get You Through the Week #82

5 Songs to Get You Through the Week is a feature I run on Young Ears, Fresh Perspective on Sundays/early hours of Monday morning where I pick out 5 tunes that I think are notable and tell you a bit about them. The point is to give you some rocking music to help you deal with your weekday blues. You can either listen to one each day, listen to them all at once, or any other combination that you feel. As long as you can get through the week without the man getting you down, that's all I care about. Without further ado, here are the 5 tracks I've picked out for this week:

1. Denim & Leather, by Saxon

I just discovered Saxon's music last week. I'd heard the name before when it came to bands that lead the way in the late 70's/early 80's New Wave of British Heavy Metal movement, but I'd never given them a try. I was glad I did. This anthem kicks some serious ass and is a great song to vibe with if you are/were a rocker/metal head. It's all about the particular culture that used to exist back then and how much of a brotherhood was created by it. Big riffs, soaring vocals, and pounding rhythms. Can't go wrong here.


2.  Countdown, by The Black Keys

This has gradually become one of my favorite songs from the duo from Akron, OH. It's rather simplistic in nature, but that finger picking backed by that rock rhythm seems to work in ways I personally have never heard before. It has this happy delta blues vibe, yet somehow made more modern. If this doesn't get you moving, grooving, and feeling a little better about taking on the week then I don't have any idea what will. 


3.  The Attitude Song, by Steve Vai

Steve Vai has done a lot of cool stuff over the years on guitar - some more outlandish and complex than others. The Attitude Song is one of his simpler ones, as it is very much based around sounding as big, simple, rocking, and badass as possible. It's one of those ones you can predict where it's going and just head bang the whole way through. To be fair, this is from Vai's solo debut album Flex-able while he was starting to do stuff outside of projects he had been in like Frank Zappa so he would of course get more complex as time went on.


4. Looks That Kill, by Motley Crue

This is one of those big pulsing, pounding songs that makes you just want to clad up in black leather and hit up the city streets at night and just prowl like the badass you wish you were. This tune has some of Mick Mars's best guitar playing throughout all of his decades long career with Motley Crue. It's heavy, dark, and makes you actually a little surprised that the same band that put out Without You put out something this rough and nasty.


5. Something to Believe In, by Young the Giant

I know that I don't typically post a whole lot of newer stuff in this here blog, but my buddy had this on the radio the other day and I couldn't help but groove along to it. It was kind of hypnotic and psychedelic, yet in a way still anthemic. It combined so many different elements of multiple genres of music into one song and I couldn't help but actually fell pretty darn impressed. Needless to say, this (figuratively) old dog will be looking a bit into something new.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment