Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Former Cream Drummer Ginger Baker 'Detests Heavy Metal'

 
It would seem that former Cream drummer Ginger Baker isn't too big a fan of the heavy metal genre. In fact, he is quite appalled by the fact that his former band is even linked to it at all as an influence according to a recent interview in Forbes.

Baker says:

"I've seen where Cream is sort of held responsible for the birth of heavy metal. Well, I would definitely go for aborting. I loathe and detest heavy metal. I think it is an abortion. A lot of these guys come up and say, 'Man, you were my influence, the way you thrashed the drums.' They don't seem to understand I was thrashing in order to hear what I was playing. It was anger, not enjoyment — and painful. I suffered on stage because of that volume crap. I didn't like it then, and like it even less now."

It's kind of understandable that Baker feels the way he does, given that he is from a much older generation and school of music. However, I do feel it's kind of crappy that he takes a verbal dump all over musicians who have been influenced by him even though they play heavy metal. It should be a compliment to be told that you had a positive impact on one's musicianship and life. Then again, Baker has never been known to be that tactful. Personally, if you are influenced by Baker I wouldn't let these comments get to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment